Update – Reopened as of 6/3/2024

The Tenant-based Rental Assistance (TBRA) program has now reopened as of June 3, 2024. Please note, this is a long-term program which includes wraparound services to help families and individuals become self-sufficient by the completion of the program; therefore, the program is not intended for emergency rental assistance or payment of past rent owed. If you are in need of immediate assistance, please text or call the Crisis 2-1-1 office by dialing 2-1-1 or (931)648-1000.

If you have questions about the TBRA program or the status of a submitted application, please reach out to the Grant Coordinator by email at leah.smith@unitedwaygn.org.


The United Way of the Greater Clarksville Region (UWGCR) & City of Clarksville’s Neighborhood and Community Services (CNCS) ARP-Tenant Based Rental Assistance (UWGCR/CNCS ARP-TBRA) program is for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, victims of domestic violence, and aged-out foster children to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. The overall ARP-TBRA program objective is for recipients to become self-sufficient and more empowered than when they began the program through a holistic approach, not only through housing assistance but also through case management with the applicant. Through the program, applicants will have the opportunity to be referred to wraparound services that will help them achieve self-sufficiency, such as credit recovery assistance, mental health support, and referrals to affordable medical care, etc., through agencies that partner with UWGCR. 


Does the program cover late/back rent payments? No. The program only covers partial rental payments moving forward from when an applicant is approved and all guidelines and obligations are met.

Does the program offer immediate assistance? For example, my rent is due on the first of the next month, but I cannot make my payment. No. Since this is a long-term (one-to-two-years) program involving multiple guidelines and obligations which must be met and involves casework with the applicant, it can take some time to go through the process, which may not allow for immediate payment assistance.

Do I still qualify for the program if I am currently receiving Section 8 vouchers? No. Current Section 8 housing assistance recipients do not qualify for the ARP-TBRA program.

Does the program cover mortgage payments? No.

Will United Way pay all of my rent? No. The housing payment warranty tenant must pay 30% of its monthly adjusted gross income for rent, and if the unit rent is greater than the payment standard, the tenant is required to pay the additional amount.

Will deposits be paid for by UWGCR/CNCS? No. The tenant will be responsible for paying any rental deposits and deposits for establishing electricity/water if required by the utility company.

Does my landlord have to be involved in and agree to the program requirements? Yes. The role of the landlord in the ARP-TBRA program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program’s housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives rental assistance payments. 

Minimum requirements:

*Please note: UWGCR may ask for additional supporting documentation at any time during the application process, therefore, this list may not be all-inclusive.

  • Applicant/co-applicant must be a City of Clarksville, Tennessee resident.
  • Applicant/co-applicant must be employed.
  • The application must be completed in its entirety and have all supporting documents included (See “TBRA Program Supporting Document Checklist” on page 1 of the application for a list of all required documents). Photos of the application or additional documents will NOT be accepted.

How to get the application:

Applications cannot be completed online or with autofill. To access the ARP-TBRA rental assistance application, please click the link at the bottom of this page, download the application, and print. Applicants who do not have access to a printer can pick up an application during business hours from the UWGCR office located at 107 Jefferson St., Suite 107. 

How to submit the application:

The application and supporting documentation can be submitted via one of the following options:

  • email to leah.smith@unitedwaygn.org
  • by mail to: United Way of the Greater Clarksville Region, 107 Jefferson St., Suite 107, Clarksville, TN 37040
  • drop in the mail slot of the United Way office.

One application per household. First come, first served. No photos of the application or additional documents will be accepted.

*Due to the high volume of calls, please direct all questions regarding the application or requirements of the program, including status updates of submitted applications, to leah.smith@unitedwaygn.org.*